Monday, November 7, 2011

Reflections on EdCampKC

I attended my very first EdCamp Saturday. I unexpectedly had an open Saturday so late Friday night I registered for the unknown, something described, if I remember right, as an "unconference." No keynote speaker, no planned sessions, a completely blank schedule on the website and get this... no registration fee.

To be real honest, my expectations were extremely low... usually something with no apparent organization typically fails and fails fast. As soon as I walked into the building, what is the first thing I see at the check in desk? A Husker fan. As a Hawkeye who grew up just outside of Omaha, this was not a what I was looking for on a day I expected a Hawkeye loss and a Husker win. So I did what any good fan would do, I made fun of the enemy. Maybe not the smartest thing since I already was entering the unknown but it turned out that he was a really good guy. As I walked into the commons area I saw a lot of people sitting at tables visiting, others pointing at their iPads and laptops, a twitter stream being projected at the front of the room. I grabbed coffee and bagel pieces (really, breakfast as a free conference?) and started to wonder the room looking for somewhere to sit. A very friendly lady came up and started talking to me, asking me what I do, where I am from, etc. Then she starts telling me why she was here... inside I groaned, a sales rep here to pimp stuff teachers would love but couldn't afford... Well, it turns out she wasn't selling anything, in fact, everything she was there to talk about was free. OK, this is really different...

I walked over to look at the schedule for the day and sure enough - BLANK. Back for more coffee thinking this could be a long day, or short day if I decide to head home to watch football.  Soon I see small groups of people head over to the schedule, look at it, talk a bit and slowly but surely the schedule filled in.

So to recap my pre-unconference experience - free, nothing preplanned, schedule generated by participants, a friendly Husker fan and free coffee and bagels.

Here are the sessions I attended, all incredibly informative and useful in the classroom
  • ThingLink - a way cool way to tag pictures, I was able to play with this a little, tagged a photo in my blog (see below) and tag a photo and put it in Blackboard. Lots of potential for student use.
  • Saving Schools $$ Using On-Line resources - great interactive presentation. Participants added to a Google doc sharing their favorite free or almost free resources
  • Rethinking Student Assessment - this seemed to be a pretty popular session, lots of discussion and questions. Unfortunately I don't think I heard a single word said, I was following the last quarter of the Iowa-Michigan game on ESPN and Twitter. I confirmed that I am more of a fan than a professional.
  • Copyright, CopyLeft, and Creative Commons - so popular they moved rooms so it could be streamed on-line.
One part of the conference that really stood out to me was lunch, not because there was free pizza and incredible homemade cookies (did I mention the conference was free?) but because of the discussions I heard as I ate. Here were teachers, on a Saturday, some from out of state, talking about raising student achievement, sharing activities, sharing resources, truly passionate about teaching, technology and most importantly student learning.

As I tweeted after the unconference, I have paid big money for conferences that were not as good as EdCampKC. I learned a lot, I got energized about teaching and I met some incredible people.

So, check your calendar, there are two more EdCamps coming up in the Midwest 

5 comments:

  1. I think your sentiment is shared by many first time EdCampers - including myself last year. I mentioned at our EdCamp in Omaha last year that my favorite part is putting that blank page up on the wall and watching it fill in - it's like a time lapse video as you start crafting the vision and tone of the day. To me, it's awesome to be surrounded by so many passionate people - especially those who share a passion for Football Saturdays :)
    And in case you were curious, I kept my coat on most of Saturday night while we were out in public. Glad you could wear the black and gold with pride.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and I'm excited to have a new colleague to interact with. Hope you can make it up to Omaha in March.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy-
    Thank you so much for this reflection of the day on Saturday. I am really glad you found it beneficial and worth your time. I know there were a lot of "1st timers" there on Saturday. There's always a lot of apprehension with any new type of learning experience, and I appreciate you investing your (normally free) time on a Saturday to grow professionally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post...even if it did come from a Hawkeye. Like Josh said, at least you could wear your black & gold with pride while us Huskers has to hide our red & white. Northwestern? Seriously? Anyway, loved your thoughts on a first-timer. Last year was my first "unconference" and I loved the experience. I always get more out of these "conversations" than I do the traditional "presentations".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great reflection! I'm glad to hear that you had such a good experience. Isn't the unconference such a cool model? Just wait until you go back to a regular conference...not the same and now you'll know how things really should be :) I hope you can come to #edcampomaha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments. If I would have known someone would actually read this I would have written in a more professional manner... :)

    ReplyDelete